Wednesday 6 February 2019

Sistrict

November 19, 2018

This week was alright we spent most of the time driving to and back from Winnipeg, and doing exchanges with the zone leaders. Exchanges were pretty good but it took a while for us to get interview done so we only got a couple hours of actual exchanges done in the evening.
District council was interesting in person and being the only 2 guys in the same room with 4 girls (we're the sistrict). Had a good time though and learned a few good things I guess!
After DC we had some interviews before president had a brake so we all hung around with sister Hitchcock talking, and I broke out my guitar a little later for sister Irwin to play. A few days before we came down to Winnipeg we were taking to them on the phone and Allen mentioned that I play guitar and the way sister Irwin answered to that gave me the idea that she played so I figured I'd bring it down for her to have a little fun on while we waited around, plus elder Jensen wanted me to bring it so I could play him burning house, so it all worked out.
Got my butt handed to me in a game of chess against a LA named clayton. I ain't much for chess and elder Carr found that out after he signed me up to play against clayton by being like oh hey elder Nelson here has been talking about how good he is at chess and thinks he can beat you! That was it for me, challenge excepted, and I died miserably ha-ha. It was fun though.
We did teach clayton after I lost which was good. We just read some scriptures with him and answered questions he had as we went along.
On the way into the apartment that night at the zls with elder Carr there was a bunch of older folks sitting in the lobbyish area talking and they saw me carrying my guitar in and they had me stop and play them a couple songs for them. I played them stairway to heaven
🤘they loved it ha-ha

Wednesday we got up and packed the car and headed out shortly after 12. Had to make a few stops like at the mission office for some supplies and to show off the fact that Thompson Elders were still alive and hadn’t froze in the great white north. Then we drove and drove and drove.... And drove.... Got home about 8 I think it was? Long day of drivin I'll tell yeah that, especially when you got the same 20 songs playing on repeat.

Thursday, we got to test out the tow ropes! We went out to Nelson house like usual about 3.30 so we got there around 4.30, almost. So, we are driving along and the roads out there are pretty rough to start with but then you add snow and ice to them and they are just bad all together. So, we have at this point about 5 min left of the drive and we are coming up on a slight curve in the road and I start to realize we aren't turning... I thought we were just slipping across the road, but then I notice Allen wasn't doing much over in his seat, in fact he wasn't even watching the road he was watching the other side of the road probably day dreaming again! By the time I noticed that he wasn't paying attention it was too late for me to even warm him, so off we went! We were only goin 60 so it wasn't too bad and the snow was pretty fresh other than right at the start of the ditch. Allen finally noticed he was done for about 2 seconds before we hit the ditch and I think he though we were dead! When we hit the ditch, snow flew over the vehicle making us almost invisible for a few seconds and then about 25yrds later we came to a slow stop. To be honest I was kinda sad about the whole ordeal, I didn't even get an adrenaline rush!! My heart didn't even pick up any, it was like we hadn’t even gone off the road! Allen on the other hand I think thought his heart was about to come outta him ha-ha I asked him later how it was and he said he thought we were gonna die!
So there we are sitting in the ditch and about 10 seconds after we stop Beth (our little friend in the windshield that tells on us) goes "aggressive driving" telling Allen he needs to be nicer to the vehicle haha it was pretty funny. I jump out after that and he follows and it must a been our lucky day cause we had a vehicle right there pulling over to see if we were okay!
We told them we were good but we might need a pull, so they gave a couple guys a call to see if they could help us out. After they got a truck in its way we set to digging out around the car and seeing what was smashed, got lucky again cause nothing bad that we could see then was wrecked. An hr, and 2 tow ropes later we were out! Had to bring in the big guns and get the Ford off our back and let the chev pull us out which was a quite the show! Even got the cops out there so they could keep an eye on traffic for us while we got hauled out, it was quite the scene we had there.
By the time we got the car out it was 5.30 ish so we had a quick minute to run and see some people before we had to leave and go home. Didn't get to teach anyone around that time of night but we caught most everyone home so that was good.
The way home Allen was much more aware of things so that was good. That was his first time ever being stuck so it was fun! Well at least I thought it was fun ha-ha

The rest of the week wasn't too special, but a lot unusual went on. We did weekly planning, games with the gang, shoveled some walks, did our clerk stuff we are now in charge of and trained on so we're the real deal now!
Got no car since Saturday at 4 so we've been walking the last few days. We got
- 30 Sunday night!! Wasn't as bad as it sounds but it was still freezing. Passed a native lady while waking to president’s place for dinner and she's like "it’s COLD ain't its boys!" I don't know just the way she said it make me laugh. I love the native people here ha-ha they are pretty nice. Had a drunk native lady in our apartment the other day coming into her place the same time we were leaving and we stopped to let them up the stairs and I asked how she was doing ha-ha she said "I'm doing great! And boy you look great!!" ha-ha got another good laugh from her when she said that.
Well that's about all for this week here in Thompsons!
Love ya all talk to ya next week! 




No comments:

Post a Comment